21 July 2009

In February of this year, the ABLE Act of 2009 was introduced to Congress. For those interested, you can track it down as S.493 (Senate) and H.R.1205 (House of Representatives). For those who do not wish to wade through the legalese, I'll provide a brief synopsis.

Basically, the ABLE Act would create a tax free savings account for those with disability. The funds would be used to provide for things like housing, medical care, education, transportation, and employment support. There are limits to annual contributions and additional funds cannot be added after the beneficiary reaches age 65. The best part (in my opinion) is that the funds do disqualify the beneficiary from receiving other government funding (Medicaid, SSDI, etc.)

I don't often say nice things about the government in general, but it is refreshing to see something like this making its way through Congress. At present, it has been referred to the House Ways and Means Committee and the House Energy and Commerce Committee. as well as the Senate Finance Committee. I will be waiting anxiously to see if this passes, as it provides financial security to those who need it most.

If anyone would like to read the legislation in its entirety, it can be viewed at the following link:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-493

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike,

From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR BEAUTIFUL AND LOVING WORDS ABOUT YOUR SON.

THANK YOU!!!

ds.mama said...

Hi Mike,
I found you from the Trig thread. Welcome to the online community. I am looking forward to reading your posts. I have added your blog to the DSNM Designer Genes blogroll. If that turns out to be the wrong listing, let me know and I will move you.